Wednesday 9 February 2011

CMLL Does Japan (The Meeting of the Mediocre)

Jushin Liger vs La Sombra, NJ 1/22 (2/3 Falls)

Ummmm they wrestled and did some stuff... but nothing really actually happened here. Just a totally average, forgettable match. CMLL style singles matches rarely deliver, and this was the same despite Korakuen. I will say I thought Sombra did a good job getting the fans into the match and I liked his submissions in the third fall, and Liger's selling made all of the nearfalls believable and dramatic. But that is really all that can be said for this.

Tiger Mask IV vs Tomohiro Ishii, NJ 1/23 (Mask vs Hair)

Almost certainly the dullest "brawl" you will see this year. Neither guy gave the impression this was a mask vs hair match at all.

Mistico vs Averno, NJ 1/23 (2/3 Falls)

Mistico has some really nice spots that get good crowd reactions, but I get the feeling they are the sort of thing he does every match in CMLL, but the crowd (and me) had the benefit of not seeing it over and over all the time. I particularly liked his bullet tope. There was pretty much nothing else in this though, so I'd struggle to call it average, even by low standards for exhibition spotfests.

No comments: